Tips for Saying Thank You
When in doubt, say thank you. There are many situations in which it is a good idea to follow up with a thank-you note. You should say thank you whenever a colleague helps you out, after an informational interview, after a job interview, after someone writes you a letter of recommendation, and other professional situations. If you’re not sure if you should send a thank-you note, send one anyway because it never hurts to say thank you.
Consider the format. When saying thank you, you can choose between a handwritten note, a letter, or an email.
An email is more informal and is best when you want the person to receive your note as soon as possible.
For example, if a hiring manager is going to make a decision right after your interview, you might want to email him or her for the sake of time. Consider a handwritten thank-you note when you have a bit more time and want to give the note a personal touch.
Keep it short and sweet. In the letter, you want to state what specifically you are thanking the person for.
Is it for writing you a letter of recommendation or for a time a coworker covered your shifts when you had to take time off? State the specific reason but keep the note short. One to three paragraphs is usually all you need.
Use quotes. If you are struggling with what to say in your note, use the quotes below as a starting point. You’ll have to tailor the quotes to fit your personal circumstances. This might include changing some of the language in the quote or adding more information. You will also want to begin your note with a salutation and end with a closing and your signature.
Thank You Quote Examples
Employee Thank You
Thank you for all your help. I’m happy to have you as a part of this team. In the short time you have been here, you have really helped to make things run smoothly. I really appreciate your willingness to help out wherever needed. It’s that kind of flexibility and dedication that will help this company grow to its full potential.
Thank You to Boss
Thank you for your confidence in me, and for your support for this project. I’m confident that you’re going to be pleased with the results.
Thank You for Help With Project
Thank you very much for offering to help out with this project. I really appreciate your willingness to assist. It is helpful to have someone who has had experience with similar issues on previous projects to offer guidance. I am looking forward to implementing many of your suggestions.
Thank You for Teamwork
Thank you so much for your assistance. You really came through, proving what it means to be a “team player.” The extra effort you put in was really appreciated.
Thank You for Help
Thank you so much for the help you gave me this week. I greatly appreciate the assistance you have provided me.
Thank You for Information
Thank you for your response to my inquiry. I appreciate the information you have provided me with and I appreciate the prompt reply.
Thank You for Answering Question
I want to thank you for taking time out to answer my question the other day.
I am sure that you are busy, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond personally to me. Thank you again.
Thank You to a Volunteer
Thanks for offering to co-coordinate the committee. I just got a copy of the responsibilities that we will share, which I’ll forward to you along with the list of members. I really appreciate your help.
Thank You for Donation
I wish to thank you so much for your generous donation. This will be of great help; our participants will benefit significantly. I will keep you informed as to our progress. Again, my sincere appreciation for your generosity.
Thank You for Gift
Thank you so much for your gift. I really appreciate you thinking of me, and you couldn’t have chosen a more perfect present for me. Again, thanks very much.
Thank You for Generosity
Thank you so much for helping me out during these very difficult times. Your help has been invaluable to me, and I don’t know how I would have managed without your help and support. Again, thank you so much. I sincerely appreciate your generosity.
Thank You for Help With Business
I really appreciate all your help in getting my business ready to open. You’ve been right there, helping out wherever and whenever you could for these past few months. We couldn’t have done it without your expert services. I am very appreciative of your assistance and looking forward to continuing to work together.
Thank You for Inspiration
Thank you so much for talking to me the other day; you have inspired me to work on my new project and follow my dreams. I could not have made these decisions without you.
Thank You for Career Assistance
Thank you for taking the time to talk with me. I sincerely appreciate the time you spent reviewing my career goals and recommending strategies for achieving them. Your advice was very helpful and gave me a new perspective on available opportunities.
Thank You for Job Search Help
Thank you for all the help you have given me with my job search. I especially appreciate the information and advice you have provided, and the contacts you have shared with me. Your assistance has been invaluable to me during this process.
Thank You for a Job Referral
Thank you very much for referring me for the position at ABCD. I am grateful for the time you spent reviewing my application and recommending me for the job. Again, thank you so much for your help.
Thank You for a Recommendation
Thank you so much for recommending me for the position. I received an interview, and I know this is in large part due to your kind recommendation. I will keep you updated on the interview and hiring process.
Thank You for Internship
Your advice and experience have been tremendously helpful throughout these past six months. I truly appreciate the confidence you showed in me by giving me this internship. I hope that after graduation, I might be able to speak with you about pursuing a career in social work.
Thank You for Job Interview With Contact Information
I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you once the final decisions are made regarding this position. Please feel free to contact me at any time if further information is needed. My cell phone number is (555) 555-5555.
Job Interview Thank You
I appreciate the time you took to interview me. I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you about this position.
Thank You for a Group Interview
Today’s interview served to reinforce my interest in becoming part of your team. If there is any other information I can provide to help expedite the decision-making process, please let me know. Again, I appreciate the time you, and the rest of the team, took to talk with me, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank You for a Second Interview
I am pleased to have had a chance to talk with you again and thank you again for your consideration. This second interview has confirmed my interest in working for your company, and my confidence that I am a good fit for the job. I look forward to hearing from you.
Appreciation Quote Examples
Here are some simple appreciation messages you can use for a variety of circumstances. Next time you want to communicate your gratitude but don’t know what to say, grab one of these messages and adapt it to your circumstance.
- Your willingness to help out wherever there is a need is greatly appreciated. It’s that kind of flexibility and dedication that will help this company grow to its full potential.
- I appreciate the extra time you’ve been spending at work while we are so busy. In a small business, we all need to take on a little extra sometimes, and it’s employees like you who make it work for us all.
- Your positive attitude has had a terrific influence on the way the entire staff is viewing our restructure. Your effort continues to help things run smoothly, and I really appreciate your support.
- All the hours of hard work have really paid off on your current project. You have done a great job as team leader, and I really appreciate the extra effort you’ve put into it.
- Your offer to help out on this project is really appreciated. We’re lucky to have someone with your experience to guide us through some of the difficulties we are facing. Please let me know if I can make someone available to keep your other projects on schedule while you spend time on this.
- I very much appreciate the time you have spent with me in planning our relocation. It will make all the difference when it comes time to begin the actual move.
- I really appreciate your offer to help in planning the company picnic. I have a project that is taking a lot of my time right now, and having you take on some of the tasks will be a big help.
- Your willingness to help out with anything we’ve needed during our renovations is very much appreciated. It takes dedication and insight into the whole process to contribute in so many ways to a project like this.
- My team and I truly appreciate your understanding and support regarding the changes we have made to the project plan. We believe that these changes are going to positively affect the customer experience with this as well as future projects.
- I really appreciate your taking the time out of your busy schedule to speak with me, and your insights into my current project. I plan to implement many of your suggestions, and will be sure to send you a follow-up when the project is completed.